Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Under the Jolly Roger by L.A. Meyer


Under the Jolly Roger
by L.A. Meyer
Date Released: August 1, 2005
Pages: 544



Summary:

After leaving the Lawson Peabody School for Young Girls in Boston--under dire circumstances, of course--Jacky Faber boards a whaling ship bound for London, where she hopes to find her beloved Jaimy. But things don't go as planned, and soon Jacky is off on a wild misadventure at sea. She thwarts the lecherous advances of a crazy captain, rallies sailors to her side, and ultimately gains command of a ship in His Majesty's Royal Navy. But Jacky's adventures don't end there. . . .




My Review:

Jacky and I have what you would call a love/hate
relationship. At times I love her, but at others I just kind of want to punch
her in the face for her rash decisions! And this is actually a good thing,
every book needs one of those characters that annoy you sometimes, it makes it
a good book.

I have loved this series for a while now, okay
so maybe for only a year or two, and I am currently rereading them. When I got
to this one (the third in the series) it really reminded me why this one was
and still is my least favorite of the series.



I mean for the most part I really did like the
book, with the exception of two things. One, Jacky being her usual rash self
when she ran away from the horse races at the beginning of the book. My
original thoughts were that she should just go and punch the chick, though
looking back on that after finishing the book, that probably would not have
been the best idea. I mean, Mrs. Fletcher already hates Jacky so punching
Jaimy’s cousin probably would not be the best way to win his mom’s
favor…anyways. Also, she gets mad at Jaimy for being at a horse race with
another girl, but she goes and let’s Robin kiss her and what not and almost
“gives herself” to him. I guess I can sympathize, she thought Jaimy didn’t love
her, but still she just goes and finds another guy like right away.


The second thing that really annoyed me was how
Jacky pretended to the captain’s (for lack of a better work to mean the
equivalent of a boy toy) gal pal. I don’t know, the fact that she pretended to
do it with him for several days in a row just annoyed the heck out of me,
especially since she knew how it affected those that loved here (AKA Robin).


But besides those two things I enjoyed the book.
And the rest of the series is amazing too.


My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment